Minimum Credit Requirements
- 28 graded credits in history courses, all for letter grades.
- At least 24 of these must be in upper-division (300- or 400-level) courses.
- At least 12 of these must be at the 400 level.
- At least 3 courses must be numbered 408 or 410-499.
- 4 credits may be completed at the lower (100- or 200-) level.
- Minors in History are encouraged, but not required, to enroll in HIST 407 courses.
At least 20 credits, including at least 8 400-level credits, must be completed at the University of Oregon.
History Before 1800 Requirement
At least 4 upper-division credits in history before 1800 with a C- or better grade. See the Courses webpage for more information.
At least 4 upper-division credits in a non-European/non-US focused course with a C- or better grade. We allow the same course to count for both the pre-1800 and non-European/non-US requirements.
Minimum GPA Requirements
A grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher is required in history courses taken at the University of Oregon. View our grading policy for more information about grading criteria.
- Once you join the minor you must promptly schedule a meeting with a history advisor, who will aid you in formulating a plan of study to complete the minor.
- The current primary Advisor for Undergraduate Studies can be contacted at HistoryAdvising@uoregon.edu. Include your 95# in your email.
- The faculty advisor helps develop a plan that directs the course of study and ensures timely completion of the requirements.
Why study history? What’s required to earn a minor? It’s all summarized in our minor map.