Professional pathways in Environmental Studies
The breadth and depth of our environmental studies program opens the door to hundreds of career paths for graduating students. Our alumni hold positions in governmental agencies, the nonprofit sector, and private businesses.
Across our environmental studies and environmental science programs, students have gone on to positions such as:
- Environmental consultant
- Communications manager
- Geographical information system mapper
- Restoration technician
- Environmental educator
- Peace Corps/Americorps volunteer
- Environmental scientist
- Policy associate
- Habitat conservation technician
Students who graduate from the Environmental Studies Program are encouraged to keep in touch and let us know what you’ve been up to as you journey out into the world. Whether you are a graduate of the program, a prospective student, friends, family, faculty, or former ENVS major, we invite you to take advantage of the resources we have available to those in the environmental field, and network with members of the program.
Letters of recommendation are a critical element in your application for graduate school or a new job. Your goal is to not only get a recommendation, but to also get a great one. Asking for a last-minute recommendation in the wrong way can backfire or result in a '"no." Here are a few tips for making sure you get the strongest letter possible.
Environmental Connect is our annual environmental networking event. Each year, we are joined by more than 15 community partners as they share their work with students. Partners are from organizations who have either sponsored ENVS interns, employed ENVS alumni, or currently offer other opportunities such as volunteering.
Environmental Career Resources:
Here are some job databases where environmentally focused openings may be posted. *Disclaimer: We provide these links as a courtesy but we do not investigate them. Always use careful judgement when using online resources.
- UO Career Center – Career & Employment Resources
- Academic 360 – another great resource for academic employment. Search either geographically or alphabetically.
- Academic Position Network – thinking about a career in academia? Try this searchable database.
- American Fisheries Society Employment Resources – lots of good water-based and general job listings.
- CareerBuilder.com – search major newspaper listings for employment opportunities.
- Chemistry and Industry Magazine – search the science and business employment database.
- Conservation Job Board — profiles the latest jobs in the fields related to conservation including forestry, wildlife biology, fisheries, ecology, wetlands, marine science, environmental policy, environmental education, park management and more.
- Conservation Jobs in the UK – Conservation job listings in the UK and Ireland.
- Cyber-Sierra’s Natural Resources Job Search – many good job links here.
- Earthworks Jobs – jobs related to the earth sciences.
- EcoBusiness Jobs – links to additional search engines.
- EHSCareers.com is the leading online job board for environmental, occupational health & safety professionals and currently we list over 430 active EH&S job openings.
- EnviroLink Network – private and government positions organized by category of interest.
- Environmental Career Opportunities – jobs, internships, and degree programs.
- Environmental Jobs.com – lots of listings for jobs from biology to policy to education.
- Fifty Careers in Trees – lists opportunities to work with trees.
- GIS Jobs Clearinghouse – GIS job listings maintained by the University of Minnesota.
- Green Jobs Network – data base of environmentally related jobs
- GreenJobsReady.com – information about careers and job opportunities in the renewable energy field.
- LearnHowtoBecome.org – information about choosing a career path and job opportunity search engine.
- The Monster Board – large database for searching over 50,000 jobs.
- PBS Environmental – providing a wide range of consulting, training and testing services throughout the Northwest since 1982 with offices in Portland, Bend and Eugene, Oregon; Seattle, Richland and Vancouver, Washington.
- The Peace and Collaborative Development Network PCDN – world’s top meta list of job sites and resources in social change
- Science Careers – large database, searchable by discipline, region, position, etc.
- Society for Ecological Restoration Career Center – links to various professional and government job listings.
- Society of Wetland Scientists – Wetland Jobs – wetland-related jobs, what else?
- ZipRecruiter Search for jobs in your area!
Career Listings – Government
- USA Jobs – official govt. site for jobs and employment information provided by the Office of Personnel Management. Available for all federal agencies.
- Peace Corps – “the toughest job you’ll ever love!”
Career Listings – Non-Profit
- American Conservation Experience – non-profit youth conservation corps dedicated to providing service learning opportunities for emerging land managers and conservation-minded volunteers in culturally diverse and naturally inspiring settings.
- Idealist.org – non-profit jobs, internships, and volunteer opportunities.
- Environmental Defense Fund – full-time and part-time jobs listed by city, internships too!
- Global Volunteer Network – volunteer on environmental projects in Ecuador, New Zealand, and Thailand.
- Greenforce – runs biodiversity surveys in international countries, with assistance from host universities.
- National Wildlife Federation Conservation Career Gateway – devoted to the conservation of wildlife.
- Northwest Youth Corps – provides opportunities for youth and young adults to learn, grow, and experience success. Programs focus on education, challenge, community, leadership and empowerment, giving youth critical life skills and confidence. NYC programs stress teamwork, inclusion, and leadership while promoting a solid work ethic and individual achievement.
- RARE (Resource Assistance for Rural Environments) Program – live and work in rural Oregon’s resource-dependent communities, helping to improve economic and environmental conditions.
- VolunteerMatch – Volunteer listings and opportunities in your local area.
Career Listings – Professional Societies (These are also good links for career information, conferences, etc.)
- American Council on Science and Health
- American Fisheries Society
- American Geosciences Institute
- American Institute of Hydrology
- American Society for Environmental History
- Association of Environmental and Resource Economists
- Ecological Society of America
- Entomological Society of America
- Environmental Assessment Association
- Environmental Management Association
- Organic Trade Association
- National Association of Environmental Professionals
- National Environmental Education Foundation
- National Environmental Health Association
- Renewable Natural Resources Foundation
- Sierra Club
- Society for Ecological Restoration
- Society for Environmental Geochemistry and Health
- Society for Human Ecology
- Society of Environmental Journalists
- Society of Northwestern Vertebrate Biology
- Society of Wetland Scientists – Wetland Jobs
- Soil and Water Conservation Society
- The Wildlife Society
- Women in Environment PNW
Career, Internship and Graduate School Guides (not necessarily listings)
- The Back Door Guide to Short-Term Job Adventures
- Eco-Tourism Career Guide
- Environmental Career Guide
- Environmental Careers Resource Guide (EPA)
- Environmental Policy Degrees - a database of environmental policy degree programs in public administration.
- Outdoor Action Guide to Outdoor/Environmental Careers– maintained by Princeton University.
- Affordable Colleges Online